<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Sunday, September 07, 2003

IT'S A GOOD LIFE.

I will try not to talk too much about it, but I have been thinking lately about how different life is now that I am single. Of course I had the initial feelings of despair after the breakup: I cried as lovers are prone to do when they part ways. The loneliness was killing me, as well as the undeserved feeling of utter failure which had engulfed me. Thankfully, those feelings are gradually diminishing because of my small but adequate circle of quality friends.

Yes, life is different. Things have changed. I can listen to the radio.

Maybe you didn't hear me: I can listen to the radio.

The X! despised the radio and requested (several times) that we do not listen to it in the car or in the house. THE RADIO! Have you ever heard of such a thing? One day we went to the mall for dinner and a movie and some shopping. While inside the Gap, rummaging through the typical aisles and aisles of poorly made articles of clothing (admit it! it's true!), a familiar song began to play over the loudspeaker. Of course, I love to sing- and I am, from time to time, compelled to sing or hum harmony or melody to whatever tunes I hear. So...instinctively...and without malicious intent...I hummed.

Well, that made the X!'s lips purse together and his brow furrow. He wasn't just displeased, he was down right ANGRY. Suffice it to say that he refused to speak to me for the rest of the evening. When I finally couldn't take the silent treatment anymore, I confronted him. What was he angry about? He just didn't know, he began, if he could date someone like me. What do you mean? I inquired- completely oblivous to the grievous crime I had committed two hours earlier. I don't know, he continued, if I can be with someone who listens to the popular music that is played on the radio. I'm an artist, and I support starving musicians; the radio stations monopolize and manipulate the industry. I need to be with someone who understands my convictions on the matter.

@#!*?

I did, after many soothing kisses and loving hugs, manage to persuade him that I was truly sorry. I held him close to me and cooed and cajoled him into a smile, all the while convincing myself that it was these bizarre thought processes (and there were many) that made me love him so. I also tried to casually mention that it really shouldn't have been a big deal.

But it was a big deal.

Comments: Post a Comment