<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Tuesday, September 23, 2003

IN WHICH THE TEACHER IS INSULTED

So.... for two weeks now, I have scoured the Internet and my teaching materials for an exciting way to kick off my punctuation unit. After 4 or 5 weeks of Literature, the curriculum calls for a review of punctuation rules, etc. Being the brilliant teacher I am (I dare you to disagree) I found some interesting information that related to the history of punctuation! Yes, my friends, I gave an anticipatory set (teacher speak for "attention getter") in which I enlightened 9th graders with the origins of punctuation; future trends and implications of the punctuation we now use; and concluded with the out-of-this-world-amazing-fact that although punctuation has some strict rules, isn't it exciting that one fourth of the punctuation we use allows for individuality and creative expression (actual fact from an actual book)? I set them free by telling them that the more experienced they become in writing, the more creatively they can use punctuation.

Fellow bloggers- I regret to report that my weeks of fact-finding were met with blank stares. I saw two or three students' eyes roll back into their heads. I'm not certain, but I think I heard subtle snoring. Why do I bother?

I am insulted.

I beg of you, how can one not find these facts interesting:
1. Punctuation began in Ancient Greece. The word "period" comes from the Greek word "periodos", which means the mark of a cycle, or the circumference of one's thoughts. Is that clever or what???

2. The word 'comma" comes from the Greek word "komma" or "koptein", which means to cut off (as in, one part of a sentence from another). I love it! Give me more!

3. The United States was technically the first country to decide on an orderly system of punctuation, but it wasn't until the 19th century that books, magazines, and newspapers began to use it regularly. Tell me another!

4. The American Declaration of Independence is filled with erroneous punctuation marks. For example, this punctuation mark shows up 25 times: .---- (a period followed by a long dash). This punctuation mark shows up 9 times… :------ (a colon followed by a long dash). Now, are you not all filled with an unquenchable, insatiable longing and desire to learn more about using punctuation effectively in your writing?

Ingrates!
---------------------------------

In other news, four 10th grade boys asked me to homecoming. Isn't there a law against such things? After they each gave me a somewhat questionable but hysterical sample of their dancing skills (which I did not request), I emphatically gave a resounding NO. Not that I would have EVER said yes;my last name, for the record, is not LeTourneau. They unkindly responded to my rejection by taunting me about being single.

Comments began to flow that went along the lines of: "Ms. X, are you ever going to get married?" (NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS)"Ms. X, I'm a 10th grader and I have a more successful dating life than you do."(I WILL SEE TO IT THAT YOU NEVER GRADUATE HIGH SCHOOL) "Ms. X, my mom said you're cute and that you should be dating someone." (THANKS, I THINK)"Ms. X, my dad said so, too." (DISTURBING!!) "Ms. X, when you get married, we're coming to the wedding." (HELL, NO) "Ms. X, why don't you marry Mr. Soandso, the math teacher? (ISN'T THAT SOMETHING AKIN TO TRYING TRYING TO MAKE A SANDWICH OUT OF THE LAST TWO SLICES OF BREAD!?...OFF WITH YOUR HEADS!)

...I don't know if I should be flattered or perturbed that they "care" so much.

------------------------------
Unintentional cuteness: there is a 9th grade boy who keeps going on and on about how he loves this other 9th grade girl's "accent."
Poor thing. I can't bring myself to tell him that it's not an accent....she has a speech impediment. She can't say her "R's."



Comments: Post a Comment