<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, November 05, 2003

MY DATE

Our first official "date" ended with me having ambiguous feelings about him but I decided that I would accept a second invitation if it was proffered. Ostensibly, he had also been thinking about things because the next day he sent word via email explaining that although he had wanted to kiss me outside the coffee house, he dared not, as he didn't receive what he so aptly described as "a vibe" from me. I quickly emailed him back and said in no uncertain terms that he was correct to assume so- I had not given any. I thanked him for having the ability to discern that I would not have accepted a kiss if he had offered it. I added that this didn't necessarily mean that I wouldn't send out vibes at a later time; it just so happened that I was still "feeling things out", as it were, and a kiss would not have been in accordance with what I thought was "perfect timing."

A few more days passed and we continued to email. We have emailed for at least a year or two now as acquaintances, but it's strange how our emails of late - since he expressed an interest in me- have tapered in their witty and sarcastic banter to a more tapered and supressed jocundity. I consider it a shame, and altogether not a particularly good sign.

Eventually, the second invitation for a "date"/get-together came. We arranged to have dinner and a movie at his house. After comparing schedules, dinner turned into lunch instead, and ended up being a very casual affair, for which I was grateful. It consisted of pizza from a pizzeria I had never heard of and the movie Reservoir Dogsdirected by Tarantino. The latter was picked because I had forgotten to stop by Blockbuster to rent the movie of my choice as I had initially promised. Reservoir Dogs was the default. It is necessary to point out that Reservoir Dogs is certainly not a movie to watch with a prospective lover seated on the other end of the couch. Blood, profanity, racial slurs, and scenes of unnecessary torture contribute very little to an intimate mood or romantic efforts.

As we sat on the couch- several inches away from each other- eating pizza, drinking Pepsi, keeping the pizza away from the dog and the cat, watching the anti-intimate mood movie, I peformed "The Test." The test is a process that takes but a minute and is done by casually talking to a man who has potential to become the object of my affection. I pretend to look attentively at him while making conversation and quickly examine his lips. Are they too thick? Too thin? Or are they just right for puckering? Can they go the distance? What, exactly, do his lips have to offer? The test must be done clandestinely and a pass/fail grade given accordingly. (Of course, MY lips would pass anyone's test! duh...)

He just barely passed the test. He just squeezed by. His lips were a little thin, but I was sure there was enough top lip to make up for the bottom one. Satisfied with his score, I went back to eating my pizza, watching the movie, and intermittently talking to him, convinced that, should he try to make a move, I might not resist too much.

Comments: Post a Comment